From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-01, 23:49:57
Subject: Re: Life: origin, purpose, and qualia spectrum

On 10/31/2012 9:48 PM, Hal Ruhl wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> I would like to restart my participation on the list by having a discussion
> regarding the aspects of what we call ?ife? in our universe starting in a
> simple manner as follows: [terms not defined herein have the usual ?aws of
> Physics? definition]
>
> 1) Definition (1): Energy (E) is the ability to subject a mass to a force.
>
> 2) There are several types of energy currently known:
>
> a) Mass itself via the conversion: [M <=> E/(c*c)]
> b) Gravitational
> c) Electromagnetic
> d) Nuclear [Strong and Weak forces]
> e) Dark Energy

Hi Hal,

     Nice post! Any way that the energy/force/work relation can be
considered as a broken symmetry restoration concept?

> 3) Definition (2) Work (W) Work is the flow of energy amongst the various
> types by means of a change in the spatial configuration, dynamics and/or
> amount of mass in a system brought about by an actual application of a force
> to a mass.
>
> 4) The exact original distribution of energy amongst the various types can?
> be reestablished and the new configuration can? do as much work as the prior
> configuration was capable of doing. [Second Law of Thermodynamics]

     Isn't the maximum entropy of a system a type of symmetry, where all
equiprobable states "look the same"?

> 5) Time is not a factor: Once a flow of energy is possible it will take place
> immediately.
>
> 6) Conclusion (1): Since life is an energy flow conduit, wherever the
> possibility of life exists life will appear as rapidly as possible. The
> ?rigin? of life herein.

     Let me refer you to a very old paper of mine:
http://webpages.charter.net/stephenk1/Outlaw/life.html

> 7) Some energy flows are prevented by what are known [in my memory] as ?nergy
> Flow Hang-up Barriers? such as nuclear bonding coefficient issues, spatial
> configuration, spin, other spatial dynamics, ignition temperature
> requirements, electromagnetic repulsion, etc. [?nergy Flow Hang-up Barriers?
> is not my terminology ? I think there was a twenty year or so old article in
> Scientific American I am looking for and a quick Internet search found a
> discussion of the repulsion hang-up in ?osmology The Science of the Universe?
> by Edward Robert Harrison.
>
> 8) Once life is present it will immediately punch as many holes in as many
> Energy Hang-up Barriers as the details of the particular life entity involved
> allows ? this is how it realizes its energy flow conduit character. The
> ?urpose? of life herein. In other words life? purpose is to hasten the heat
> death of its host universe.
>
> 9) Now add in evolution which is a random walk with a lower but no upper
> bound.

     Do you see mutation as a one-to-many map and selection as a many
-to-one map?

> A discussion of the possible consequences [such as qualia levels of
> particular life entities - like degrees of consciousness] should await a
> critique and possibly a revision of the above.
>
> Comments are eagerly sought.
>
> Thank you

     Nice!

--