Hi John:

My responses are below within an edited original post.  Thanks for your
comments.

1) Definition (1):  Energy (E) is the ability to subject a mass to a force.

*****************************
Re the use of "ability" here:   What I am trying to do here is establish a
process such that at the instant an ability becomes a possibility that
possibility is realized immediately since the necessary series of events
unfold immediately .  Take as an example a radioactive isotope deep in the
earth's core.  We can reasonably assume that it was fused together billions
of years ago in some ancient stellar event.  Since then it has had the
"ability" to undergo fission [ a type of energy ] but has not because
conditions in it have never been quite right.   Then all of a sudden
conditions are right - appropriate Bosons are exchanged and the fission
unfolds.   Energy is redistributed amongst the various types.  Thus at the
moment I will therefore leave the above wording as is.
*****************************

*****************************
2) There are several types of energy currently known or proposed :

I agree with you about Dark Energy - I had intended the wording to be as it
now appears above.
****************************

****************************
a) Mass itself via the conversion: [M<=>E/(c*c)]

I do not think the above is a restriction in the sense I think you mean.
For example a spring when compressed [as I understand it] is more massive
when compressed then when relaxed.
****************************

b) Gravitional
c) Electromagnetic
d) Nuclear [Strong and Weak forces]
e) Dark Energy

3) Definition (2) Work (W): Work is the flow of energy amongst the various
types by means of a change in the spatial configuration, dynamics and/or
amount of mass in a system brought about by an actual application of a force
to a mass.

4) The exact original distribution of energy amongst the various types can't
be reestablished and the new configuration can't do as much work as the
prior configuration was capable of doing. [Second Law of Thermodynamics]

5) Time is not a factor: Once a flow of energy is possible it will take
place immediately.

6) Conclusion (1):  Since life is an energy flow conduit, wherever the
possibility of life exists life will appear as rapidly as possible.  The
"origin" of life herein.

\

****************************
If we look at the usual attempts to define "life", we find things such as
grow [larger I suppose], reproduce, etc.  These require a flow of energy
from an initial ability to do work to a lower ability to do work and through
the life entity.  Think of the life entity as a pipe or "conduit" for this
flow.

Therefore "life" herein is just an energy flow conduit drilling holes in
energy flow hang-up barriers as rapidly as possible for the particular
entity to enable even more such energy flow - a simple but not necessarily
uplifting origin-purpose.
***************************

7) Some energy flows are prevented by what are known [in my memory] as
"Energy Flow Hang-up Barriers" such as nuclear bonding coefficient issues,
spatial configuration, spin, other spatial dynamics, ignition temperature
requirements, electromagnetic repulsion, etc.  ["Energy Flow Hang-up
Barriers" is not my terminology - I think there was a twenty year or so old
article in Scientific American and a quick Internet search found a
discussion of the repulsion hangup in "Cosmology The Science of the
Universe".

8) Once life is present it will immediately punch as many holes in as many
Energy Hang-up Barriers as the details of the particular life entity
involved allows - this is how it realizes its energy flow conduit character.
The "purpose" of life herein.  In other words life's purpose is to hasten
the heat death of its host universe.

9) Now add in evolution which is a random walk with a lower but no upper
bound.

A discussion of the possible consequences [such as qualia levels of
particular life entities] should await a critique and possibly a revision of
the above.

Thanks again for your comments.

Hal