On 08 Nov 2012, at 14:42, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 11/8/2012 6:38 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King

There are no accidents in Platonia.
There are also perfect parabolas, because
Platonia is the realm of necessary logic,
of pure reason and math, which are inextended.
Hi Roger,

There are no accidents in and all is perfect and there is no extension or time Platonia because we define Platonia that way. But if we are to take Platonia as our basic ontological theory we have a problem, we are unable to explain the necessity of the imperfect world of matter that has time and is imperfect.

Not at all. After Gödel and Co. we know that "Platonia", or simply Arithmetic is full of relative imperfections. The machines which lives in Platonia suffer all from intrinsic limitations. Now, we know that Platonia contains typhoon, black hole, big bangs, taxes and death. Platonism is not the same before and after Gödel-Turing. We can perhaps say that comp admits a more nietzchean reading of Plato. This could be called neo-neo-platonism, which is neoplatonism + Church thesis. It is also very pythagorean, as the numbers can, and have to, be seen in a new perspective.

It is a utopia that, like all utopias, is put up as a means to avoid the facts of our mortal coil. I am interested in ontologies that imply the necessity of the imperfect and not a retreat to some unaccessible perfection.

The real shock with "modern" comp is that now we know that even heaven is not perfect. It contains many doors to hell. And vice versa: Hell contains doors to heaven. The main difference is that it is easy to find a door to hell in paradise, and it is hard to find a door to paradise in hell. And there is a large fuzzy frontier between both.

The idea that arithmetical platonia is perfect is a rest of Hilbert's dream (or nightmare as some call it). With comp even God is not perfect. "He" is overwhelmed by the Noùs, and then the "universal soul" put a lot of mess in the whole. At least we can understand the fall of the soul, and the origin of matter. Matter is where God lost completely control, and that's why the Greek Platonists can easily identify matter with evil.

It is the price of Turing universality. The existence of *partial* computable function, and, with comp, of processes which escapes all theories. The happy consequences is that, by such phenomena, life and consciousness resist to normative and reductionist thinking. The universal machine is born universal dissident.

Bruno

Thrown earthly objects are extended and
thus fly contingently, since spin, humidity and
dust particles can create flight imperfections
and no measurements of their flights can be perfect.
I am also told that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
does not depend on scale.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/8/2012