Hi Bruno Marchal

Not to be rude, but how can numbers alone create theories ?

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/9/2012

From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-09, 11:09:32
Subject: Re: Communicability

On 08 Nov 2012, at 20:17, Stephen P. King wrote:

> On 11/8/2012 10:15 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> Hi Roger,
>>>
>>> There are no accidents in and all is perfect and there is no
>>> extension or time Platonia because we define Platonia that way.
>>> But if we are to take Platonia as our basic ontological theory we
>>> have a problem, we are unable to explain the necessity of the
>>> imperfect world of matter that has time and is imperfect.
>>
>> Not at all. After G?el and Co. we know that "Platonia", or simply
>> Arithmetic is full of relative imperfections. The machines which
>> lives in Platonia suffer all from intrinsic limitations. Now, we
>> know that Platonia contains typhoon, black hole, big bangs, taxes
>> and death. Platonism is not the same before and after G?el-Turing.
>> We can perhaps say that comp admits a more nietzchean reading of
>> Plato. This could be called neo-neo-platonism, which is
>> neoplatonism + Church thesis. It is also very pythagorean, as the
>> numbers can, and have to, be seen in a new perspective.
> Hi Bruno,
>
> So why bother with the illusion of a physical world? If
> everything "just exists" in Platonia,

No, in platonia only 0, 1, 2, 3, ... exists. The rest of existence,
notably the couplings consciousness realities, exists in a secondary
sense, in Platonia. They are epistemological realities obeying to the
laws of computer science.

> why does it need to exist elsewhere? Why have an "elsewhere"?

All the interest of having arithmetic as a TOE relies in the fact that
it explain where the physical reality comes from, and why it divides
into quanta and qualia.

> What is it in comp that necessitates the appearance of substances?

That is explained by the UDA reasoning.
The appearance of substances is more like a fact that we have to
explain, once we bet the brain is a machine.

> How do the relative values of numbers, which are fixed and eternal
> in your thinking, acts as something like a prime mover that projects
> or whatever is the proper word you wish to uses to explain the
> emanations from Platonia to this realm?
>

> How do you explain the appearance of change from that which is
> changeless? You never seem to wish to go over the debate between
> Heraclitus and Parmenides and explain why you side with Parmenides.

I start from comp, then I derive consequences.
Then it happens that some mystics seems to have intuited some of those
consequences, without using comp, or using very na?e (pre-G?elian)
intuition like in the "question of King Milinda".

Now, to be sure, even the "physicist in me" has never taken for
granted the existence of time, and has always felt himself more closer
to Einstein and Hilbert than Prigogine or Brouwer.

But I insist that I am never defending any conception of reality. I
assume we are machine, and then make a reasoning.