On 11 Dec 2012, at 18:09, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/11/2012 7:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Dec 2012, at 17:30, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/10/2012 2:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

But why isn't "It's a probabilistic world and it obeys the Born rule." a good explanation. I'm all for finding a better explanation, i.e. a deterministic one. But simply postulating an ensemble of worlds to make the probabilities "deterministic" in arbitrary way doesn't strike me as any improvement.

It is, as it explains interference, without adding something not well defined (apparatus, observer) not obeying QM (like with the collapse needed to get one physical reality).

That sounds like prejudice against probabilistic theories.

Only against theories which postulate "objective" indeterminacy (and what is that?) to avoid a simpler theory.

The interference is inherent in the complex Hilbert space states. The interference happens in one world. As Omnes says, you don't need 'collapse' you just need to accept that you have calculated probabilities. That's what probability means - some state is actualized and others aren't.

That sort of probability seems quite magic to me. And useless, as first person indeterminacy explains their appearance completely,

It only 'explains' it by recasting the inherent probability into an ignorance of ensemble samples form,

It is only realist on what our best theories describe. Both QM-Everett and CTM cannot avoid those "ensembles". And they are not just ensemble. In QM Everett its is a universal wave, a solution of the SWE (or Dirac, or deWitt-Wheeler, ...), and in CTM it is a tiny part of the arithmetical reality (which after Gödels appears as something *very* big, and structured in many-ways, with many different inside views.

but with not possible way of resolving the ignorance, so that the two 'explanations' are strictly equivalent

CTM illustrates the contrary. It is made testable, and up to now the two quantum logic resemble enough. of course it might be a coïncidence, but it is a strong point, imo, that where the UDA tells a quantum probability should appear, we get indeed an arithmetical quantization making something quite quantum like, formally, where we expected it to be, by UDA.

in simpler theories, like the CTM or Everett QM.

Everett's QM is not a theory; it's just an interpretations.

I disagree on this, despite most would agree with you. But perhaps not Everett itself who talks only about a formulation. And indeed Everett's main contribution in QM is the formulation of a new QM which is just the old QM without the collapse postulate. Everett explains why the observers, in any base in which they can have memories, will believe in probabilities, until they explain this by the wave itself, and a notion of first person (called Subjective by Everett). Then my point is just that if CTM is correct, we have to pursue that move in the whole arithmetic, not just the wave, which is itself selected through a similar self-selection process. I show that it works, thanks to incompleteness, which both makes equivalent all the points of view, p, Bp, Bp & p, Bp & Dt, Bp & Dt & p, yet prevent the machines to ever know that, which makes the logics behaving very differently, and giving different views on arithmetical truth, from arithmetical truth.

Look at the progress in conceptual elegance of those different theories of reality:

Old QM:

1) Wave
2) collapse
3) Unintelligible theory of mind

Everett:

1) Wave
2) Arithmetic (comp)

Your servitor:

1) Arithmetic (comp)

:)

No virus found in this message.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .