Hi Stathis Papaioannou

Cool.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/12/2012

From: Stathis Papaioannou
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-12, 00:49:28
Subject: Re: I am my memory, which is provided by my 1p.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

My personal introspection will always have my personal
memory as context, which a computer will not have.
One can in fact say that I am my memory. My
memory is the identity of my 1p and is what my 1p sees.

This is perhaps the most serioous problem of comp.

Your memory survives destruction of your brain. A new brain is constructed over
time such that after months almost none of the matter in the original brain
remains in your body. The old brain is used as a template, and only a rough
template at that. So there is no theoretical obstacle to transferring your mind
from one collection of matter to another. The question is whether the mind can
be replicated in a different substrate. This has been discussed here before and
I think the answer is clearly (though not intuitively) yes, provided that the
new substrate is able to replicate the 3p observable behaviour of the brain.

--
Stathis Papaioannou