On 12/15/2012 2:42 PM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
The a priori are simply assumptions made before
performing a deduction which would be impossible to do
without the assumptions. An example would be that arithmetic
is true.
If you can do without an a priori, you could be a celebrated
theorist, if even that word is the proper one.
Hi Roger,

OK, in that context I agree with you. But what inevitably happens is that people take the rule of thumb use of a priori and treat it as a universal mandate! I am OK with pedagological use of a priori, but this is not what kant did. He treated the a priori as a universal mandate.

--
Onward!

Stephen