On 15 Dec 2012, at 20:42, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

The a priori are simply assumptions made before
performing a deduction which would be impossible to do
without the assumptions. An example would be that arithmetic
is true.

We need assumptions there too. Implicit and informal, but which can be made explicit, like in Logic + the two laws of additio and mulitiplication I gave.

If you can do without an a priori, you could be a celebrated
theorist, if even that word is the proper one.

On complex matter subject it is good to put *all* assumptions on the table. Logic (the science) gives the tool for doing that, like first order logic. Most theories can be formalized at some level, like CTM, String theory, relativity, analysis, QM, etc.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/15/2012