On 08 Jan 2013, at 18:53, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/8/2013 6:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 07 Jan 2013, at 19:53, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Theism, like atheism, is unprovable.

Why is that? You're saying that even though God is omnipotent He is incapable of proving His existence to us. I can prove my existence to you

I doubt this. You can give me evidence, but not a proof, unless a trivial definition of "you". Proving is only theoretical. We cannot prove the existence of anything real.

You are using a narrow conception of 'proof', i.e. logical proof. But there is also empirical proof and legal 'proof beyond a reasonable doubt'.

Yes. I use proof in the strong sense.

We can just find evidence supporting (pace David Deutsch) or refuting some hypotheses. In science we never know as such.

If you cannot know anything except what you can prove in mathematics

You cannot know that too. Well, except perhaps for arithmetic.

then you never know anything except tautologies of the form "If x then x."

Arithmetic is far richer than tautologies. Do you think Fermat theorem is a tautology? If yes, then you just mean "theorem", but not all theorem can be proved as "if x then x", you need no logical axiom as well, that is some theoretical axioms. This entails already the existence of the contingencies and local realities.

but God can not. That seems a bit odd to me.

   John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

No virus found in this message.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .