On Monday, January 21, 2013 12:31:00 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Impossible, or comp is false. No machine can ever figure out that there is
> anything without postulating it by faith. The fact that such postulation is
> unconscious makes this counter-intuitive, but with comp it is provable with
> mathematical logic.

Aha, now this is interesting. Here I can begin to see the sub-arithmetic
sense that you are working with. By 'figure out', do you mean that a
machine has a conscious experience of reasoning? Or is the reasoning as
unconscious as the faith upon which said reasoning must rely? Where does
provability by mathematical logic come in? Why doesn't everything use
unconscious faith or how does unconscious faith become conscious only to
become partially obscured once again and in need of proof to restore it to
consciousness? It seems like the forces which are shaping faith into these
different qualities of consciousness are actually the more relevant agents.
What would be the reason for or method of bringing a machine's unconscious
faith into a conscious experiential mode?

Craig