Hi Craig Weinberg

An anthropic God is the only one we can make sense of.

From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-23, 09:22:38
Subject: Re: Re: HOW YOU CAN BECOME A LIBERAL THEOLOGIAN IN JUST 4 STEPS.

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:58:03 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
Hi John Clark

>From his hostile postings, Craig seems to have been very
very badly hurt by the Christian Church sometime in the past.

Haha, not at all. Some of my best memories in high school were of drinking
beers and smoking cloves with the lovely and exciting girls from my friend's
church group. I think cathedrals are wonderful. Church services bore me but not
as much as synagogue services - wow, if you want to have a monotonous
meaningless experience try sitting through a three hour monologue in Hebrew.

I just think that the idea of an anthropomorphic God is an unfortunate and
seductive mistake. If I sound hostile, it is because of the tremendous damage
that this concept can do to people's lives. I am hostile toward crystal meth
too. I love the idea of recreational drugs, but I have known too many
exceptional people who have seen the course of their lives derailed by crystal.

Craig

From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-22, 13:23:37

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The astronomer Giordano Bruno would not have been surprised to hear that the
>> invention of science was a fight against theology, he was burned alive by
>> the church for suggesting that the bright points of light you see in the
>> night sky were other suns very very far away.

>The Catholic Church of the 16th century is no more representative of Theology

In Europe in 1600 the Catholic Church was not representative of theology it
virtually was theology; competing franchises like Judaism and Islam were just
rounding errors, and they were just as dumb anyway.

>than ethnic cleansing is representative of Darwin.

Huh? Charles Darwin and ethnic cleansing, it does not compute.

>> Explaining how complexity came about from simplicity is much better than
>> saying complexity came about from even more complexity.

> Religion does the same thing.

Bullshit.

> The Tower of Babel. Noah's Ark. Genesis. Complexity emerges from simplicity

God is not simple, although very often the believers in God are.

> Ron Popeil is not a theologian.

True, Ron Popeil is much more moral than theologians because the stuff he sells
on TV actually exists.

>> What would lead to unemployment is if the LHC discovers nothing mysterious
>> that contradicts what we think we know.

> Not really.

Yes really.

> Validating the standard model is just as profitable as mystery.

Bullshit. Everybody knows that the standard model is very very good but they
also know it can't be the end of the story because it says nothing about
gravity or Dark Matter or Dark Energy nor can it explain why neutrinos have
mass. And everybody knows that unlike telescopes that have found a lot of
surprising stuff in fundamental physics, particle accelerators have not
discovered anything surprising in almost 40 years (finding the Higgs was not
surprising, not discovering it would have been surprising and that's why many
hoped it didn't exist but they were disappointed), and if the LHC doesn't find
anything new either it could be the last of these very expensive machines for a
century.

ohn K Clark