On Monday, January 21, 2013 1:56:36 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote
>
> > The founders of Western Enlightenment science would be quite surprised
>> to hear that their invention of science was a fight against theology
>>

> The astronomer Giordano Bruno would not have been surprised to hear that
> the invention of science was a fight against theology, he was burned alive
> by the church for suggesting that the bright points of light you see in the
> night sky were other suns very very far away.

The Catholic Church of the 16th century is no more representative of
Theology than ethnic cleansing is representative of Darwin. It's not
theological views which corrupted religious organizations, it is the
political power of organization which corrupts underlying views
(theological, scientific, or otherwise).

> They used green wood to kill him because it took longer.

A very scientific approach.

>>> theology advises you to just give up and say "God did it";
>>>

>> > Now that we can give up and say "Evolution did it", things are much
>> better, eh?
>>

> Exactly. Explaining how complexity came about from simplicity is much
> better than saying complexity came about from even more complexity.

Religion does the same thing. The Tower of Babel. Noah's Ark. Genesis.
Complexity emerges from simplicity, just like any creation myth. If you
don't have a theory which explains the simplicity though, then all you have
really done is impress yourself by hiding the problem behind your back.
It's 'turtles all the way down'.

> >  Can you imagine how many physicists there would be at the LHC if it
>> paid the same as being a theologian?
>

> TV evangelists make far more money than any physicist who ever lived.

That's a straw man since anyone who has a TV show aimed at taking money
from the general public can do that. Ron Popeil is not a theologian.

>  > Can you imagine a scientist finding something that contradicted his
>> potential for future paychecks?
>>

> What would lead to unemployment is if the LHC discovers nothing mysterious
> that contradicts what we think we know.

Not really. Validating the standard model is just as profitable as mystery.
Now we are going to need to build a whole new generation of facilities to
experiment with the Higgs. What would lead to unemployment is if the LHC
discovers nothing more than smaller, cheaper facilities could have
discovered.

Craig