Hi Roger,

On 27 Jan 2013, at 12:46, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno,

It isn't that we influence the universe,
the universe IS us.

Which universe?

From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-27, 00:53:25
Subject: Re: meditation

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com > wrote:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Hi Telmo,

On 24 Jan 2013, at 16:17, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Hi all,

I was thinking about meditation and how people report experiences of "oneness with the universe", "non separation", etc.

Meditation is a process of quieting the mind. One could say reducing it's complexity. Simpler states have more undistinguishable observer moments. Could it be that what's happening is that the consciousness of the successful meditator becomes identified with a larger set of states in the multi-verse?

Just the sketch of an idea, sorry for the lack of rigour.

It is a quite good insight. I think that something like that operates with dissociative substance (ketamine, salvinorin, ...). Apparently, they disconnect parts of the brain, so that the conscious part get its complexity reduced, and that might give a "view of the multiverse" (as in many salvia reports).

The point of finding a (comp, or ensemble) TOE is when you get a theory rich enough (in universes/models), but not to much, for not becoming trivial. Then the point is that to get plural-realities, 爏 ome probabilistic interference has to play a role in the elimination of some infinities.

The relation is known in algebra (more equations, less solutions) and in logic (more axioms, less models). It is related with the Galois connection.

For a long time I have this weird idea that I don't have the mathematica sophistication to correctly express. The idea aplies to History, for example. It's the notion that past event did not actually "happen" in the common sense of the word, but are just valid solutions to a system of equations that is restricted by current experience.

Telmo,

I am partial to these types of ideas.� I think similar ideas have been reflected by many scientists:

John Wheeler's participatory universe:
http://discovermagazine.com/2002/jun/featuniverse#.UQS8KvJWKjc
"To Wheeler we are not simply bystanders on a cosmic stage; weare shapers and creators living in a participatory universe. Wheeler's hunch is that the universe is built like an enormous feedback loop, a loop in which we contribute to the ongoing creation of not just the present and the future but the past as well."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler
"Wheeler: We are participators in bringing into being not only the near and here but the far away and long ago. We are in this sense, participators in bringing about something of the universe in the distant past and if we have one explanation for what's happening in the distant past why should we need more? Martin Redfern: Many don't agree with John Wheeler, but if he's right then we and presumably other conscious observers throughout the universe, are the creators牀 or at least the minds that make the universe manifest."

It also sounds not unlike the consistent histories interpretation of quantum mechanics ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Consistent_histories ) or Feynman's path integral formulation which is described as a "sum over histories" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_integral_formulation#Feynman.27s_interpretation ).

I think what you are describing comes automatically with comp, as any observer only knows their direct observations, which could be created by any one of an infinite number of possible programs going through the same state.� Any one of these programs will have its own consistent history, but unless analyzed or explored further, that information is in a sense, undecided.� It is like: "Before you finish reading the second half of this sentence, the color of your toothbrush could have been any possible color."� However, now that you have finished reading it, and performed a memory look up you have changed the set of possible programs manifest your consciousness.� It is almost scary to think, when you aren't looking or or imagining/recalling what your mother, your wife, your children, they could look like or be almost anything (within some constraints of what is compatible with your experience in the moment you are not thinking of them).� And it is only when we "stop and think" we can for a time, lock down that possibility.

Jason