On 25 Jan 2013, at 17:22, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Hi Telmo,

On 24 Jan 2013, at 16:17, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Hi all,

I was thinking about meditation and how people report experiences of "oneness with the universe", "non separation", etc.

Meditation is a process of quieting the mind. One could say reducing it's complexity. Simpler states have more undistinguishable observer moments. Could it be that what's happening is that the consciousness of the successful meditator becomes identified with a larger set of states in the multi-verse?

Just the sketch of an idea, sorry for the lack of rigour.

It is a quite good insight. I think that something like that operates with dissociative substance (ketamine, salvinorin, ...). Apparently, they disconnect parts of the brain, so that the conscious part get its complexity reduced, and that might give a "view of the multiverse" (as in many salvia reports).

The point of finding a (comp, or ensemble) TOE is when you get a theory rich enough (in universes/models), but not to much, for not becoming trivial. Then the point is that to get plural-realities, some probabilistic interference has to play a role in the elimination of some infinities.

The relation is known in algebra (more equations, less solutions) and in logic (more axioms, less models). It is related with the Galois connection.

For a long time I have this weird idea that I don't have the mathematica sophistication to correctly express. The idea aplies to History, for example. It's the notion that past event did not actually "happen" in the common sense of the word, but are just valid solutions to a system of equations that is restricted by current experience. So if we start doing an archaeological exploration we are going to find objects that are consistent with previous civilisations, but this is just a solution to the system of equations that is consistent with present reality.

That's consistent with comp, I think.

I'm not defending (not denying) this model of reality, but think it's an interesting thought experiment. It puts the big bang in a new light: you're just looking so far back in time that the simplest of solutions works -- everything is concentrated on a single spot of zero complexity.

The big bang remains awkward with computationalism. It suggest a long and deep computations is going through our state, but comp suggest that the big bang is not the beginning.

Well, meditations might be enough, perhaps. Sleep leads also to dissociate state, simpler version of oneself, and the resulting strange "realities".

Even the idea that we are unconscious during deep sleep does not convince me.

Me neither. I have always suspected, like Descartes, that we cannot be "unconscious" (if that is not trivial from the 1p perspective). And since 5 years, I have clear evidences that we are conscious in all phases of sleep, but it is a hell of work to be able to memorize the "events", especially for the slow sleep (the non REM sleep, in french).

We could be conscious but without read/write access to our memories, so how would we know afterwords? But maybe we are experiencing the same level of consciousness as a bacteria.

OK.

It is related with the idea that brains acts like filter of consciousness (as opposed to producer of consciousness).

Aldus Huxley talks about that in "Doors of Perception", but I'm sure you know that!

Indeed :)