On 2/1/2013 12:46 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Hi Bruno,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    On 31 Jan 2013, at 15:15, Roger Clough wrote:

    Hi Telmo Menezes
    Perhaps you're right, but to my limited knowledge,
    a quantum has infinite paths available between
    points A and B without invoking another universe.

    Once we are able to use (classical) information obtained in the other
quantum paths,
    like when doing a Fourier transform on  some superposition of many
computations,
    like in a quantum computer, what makes them different of other universes?

The superposition of many computations itself. Superposition of states on a same universe are a bit hard to swallow. I think people reject the idea of a multiverse because it sounds loony, but my understanding is that making QM consistent with a single universe requires magical thinking.

I don't think that's true. There are ways of interpreting QM that are consistent and not "magical". It's just that they require accepting that somethings happen and some don't.

It's the same as saying that consciousness emerges from neural activity.

But we don't know of any consciousness that doesn't emerge from neural activity and we don't know of any intelligence that doesn't emerge from the physical processing of information.

Brent

People overlook the magical step because they are more confortable with the resulting model.

    Bruno

    So no problem.