I doubt that meaning, existence, creation, purpose  makes sense when
applied to the mathematical nature of the external reality. I think that
these concepts only makes sense when though by a mind. So either we reject
these concepts when thinking about the universe (and this makes reasoning
almost impossible when taken seriously) or else, we implicirtly are
assuming that we are figuring out what a metamind in a metatime was
thinking when He fired up equations into existence. that is, we are trying
to know the mind of God in which we implicitly believe.

Purpose, for example, implies a goal and a goal implies some actions in
order to reach the goal either at the beginning (at the creation of the
drama) or at the course of the action.    In the first case, it is assumed
that the purpose-creator had freedom to bring existence or not of different
things depending on the purpose. In the second case, it supposes miracles.
In the case of Smolin, like many others, they try to be as close as
possible to the null hypothesis, where this Mind is progressively more and
more lazy, so he creates more and more weird things in a single act in
order not  to think and not to waste time for sleep: And the God of Smolin
said: "Let's be String theory with a lot of free parameters, so may be
black holes populate each universe or not. And he saw it good, so He return
to sleep".

Why not "lets everithing into existence"?. That is the null hypothesis. But
existence again, is meaningless without an observer, a metamind, because is
the mind the one that observe existence. We have an implicit Observer. The
same could be said about the concept of "beginning" and, in fact, almost
any concept of the language. So we need a metamind, in a metatime. an
extremely lazy metamind. But his "creation" is undistinguisable from a more
focused metamind which may bring into existence just a strech set of
alternatives in order to produce the same number of observer minds. In any
case we need -or our reasoning implicitly assumes- a mind to fire-up.

What we know is that the external mathematical reality supports for the
existence and communicability of minds. And these minds and groups of minds
create their own realities, that  do have purposes and create and infer
meaning. We can only reason with the concepts of minds about other minds.

2013/2/5 Kim Jones <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au>

> So does this explain the PURPOSE of the universe or merely a dominant
> FUNCTION? The blind exercise of function doesn't seem to me to include the
> global concept of purpose. The use of this word is about my only gripe with
> it. I could be wrong.
>
> Cheers,

> On 05/02/2013, at 6:47 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>
> > By contrast, Smolin's idea is taken very seriously by this list. For
> > example, it is mentioned not once, but twice in my book (page 49 and
> > 102).
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 06:16:59PM +1100, Kim Jones wrote:
> >>
> http://io9.com/5981472/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-universe-here-is-one-possible-answer
> >>

> >> OK - so rip into it and say why it's all nonsense.
> >>

> >> Kim Jones
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --

> > Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
> > Principal, High Performance Coders
> > Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
> > University of New South Wales          http://www.hpcoders.com.au

Alberto.