On Monday, March 11, 2013 10:01:08 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2013, at 00:57, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:51:35 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:
>>
>>  On 3/10/2013 1:08 PM, spudb...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Question- I also thought determinism  mean't that you could predict where
>> and when, a particle could move. But that Werner Heisenberg, said that you
>> could determine, on, but never the other. Would you say that the universe
>> is predictable and Heisenberg might be wrong?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mitch
>>

>> Determinism doesn't mean that you can predict everything.  Determinism
>> means the future is completely determined by the past.
>>

> Which means that a deterministic universe always begins with a miracle
> that is never allowed to happen again.
>

> There is no deterministic universe because there is no universe (in the
> common Aristotelian sense).

I don't know that we have to assert an Aristotelian universe to have an
expectation of first cause. The universe can just be the idea of the set of
all phenomena. If determinism is to mean anything, then its meaning
supervenes on an expectation of temporal sequence and an arrow of time.
What does it mean that this arrow is itself not subject to any arrow?

> The appearance of a universe "appears" from the average Löbian
> arithmetical relation existing in arithmetic.

Why would it though? What if you wanted to generate Löbian arithmetical
relations without making a universe appear - like a Thin Client. Suppose
you only want the arithmetic and not any kind of appearance?

> That explains both qualia and quanta, qualitatively and quantitatively,
> and is the only solution available when you bet on computationalism.

I don't think that we can bet on computationalism if we understand the
consequences. We would have nothing to bet with and no authority to place a
bet.

> The only miracles here are that 0+1 = 1, 0*1 = 0, + similar, and that you
> stay conscious with an artificial brain.
>
> In your approach it looks like there are more miracles: the miracle of
> sense, the miracle of matter, and the miracle of a non intelligible
> relation between both.

You rely on the miracle of sense and the miracle of rigid bodies also, but
you don't acknowledge them because they are beneath the threshold of 0, +,
1. =, etc. My approach reveals that if you have the underlying
sensory-motor interaction behind +, =, n, etc, then you already have
consciousness. Numbers, like musical notes or colors on the spectrum, serve
to augment the qualitative richness of sense, not to provide a functional
framework. Sense doesn't need numbers, but numbers need sense. Sense
*wants* numbers, however, to act as lenses and amplifiers. Sense needs its
opposite just as our bodies need a skeleton to lend structure. Your view
sees the universality of skeletal structures and presumes that it is the
most essential aspect of the organism where I see it as the most
existential aspect - least living, most indifferent and unconscious.

> And all this to refuse to allow a man with a wounded brain to have a
> chance of surviving .... Hmm...

As long as there is some brain left, there is a chance of extending it
prosthetically.  We could replace every limb on a person's body also, but
we can't replace the head. If there is no head left, then there is nothing
left to survive.

Craig