On Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:32:02 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 4/4/2013 11:11 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:53:42 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> Near death experiences are real, they exist, and they are very dull.
>

> Dull in what way?
>

>> When the brain is deprived of oxygen some people have hallucinations and
>> other experiences, and some of which can be pleasurable hence the
>> popularity of the dangerous practice of autoerotic asphyxia, taking LSD
>> would be much safer.
>>

> You didn't read the article I guess. The whole point of the experiment is
> that it shows that scientifically, memories of NDEs do not look like
> memories of hallucinations.
>

> That's not what it says.  It says they don't look like imagined memories
> of things that didn't happen.

Either way, they look less like what we would expect for private fantasy
and much more like what we would expect for public realism.

>> The thing that makes NDE so dull is that "N" stands for "near". Die and
>> decay in your grave for a couple of years and then come back and tell me
>> what it was like, now THAT would be interesting.
>>

> Sure, but its still odd that these hallucinations appear to to be real
> visitations to other worlds. LSD trips have lots of different forms and
> effects. NDEs are much more clearly defined. It doesn't mean that there is
> a personal afterlife in heaven or hell, but neither is it possible that the
> NDE phenomenon is what you want it to be.
>

> No, it means people have memories of things which can be vivid,
> particularly when the brain isn't having to deal with any perceptions.
> Haven't you noticed that very old people, or those just developing
> Alzheimers, have exceptionally detailed memory of events in their distant
> past and childhood, even though they can't remember their address or phone
> number.

Detailed memory of events which actually happened, not of dreams where they
met Peter Pan. You'll have to argue with the people who ran the
experiments, because it is their results which directly contradict your
assumptions - which are completely anecdotal and arbitrary.

Craig