On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Telmo,
> >
> > Yes, those are good counter examples.
> >
> > But I think to say "pain and pleasure are fine-tuned by evolution..." is
> > sleight of hand. Pain and pleasure are phenomenological primitives. If
> > evolution created those primitives, how did it do that? By what
> mechanism?
>
> Completely agree. I mean pain and pleasure as things that you can
> observe with an fMRI machine. As for the 1p experience of pain and
> pleasure... wish I knew. I don't think evolution created these
> primitives in this latter sense.
>
> > Another way to think of this is to acknowledge that pain signals are
> > mediated by special nerves in the nervous system. But what makes those
> > nerves any different from a nerve that carries information about gentle
> > pressure?  You may be able to point to different neuroreceptors used, but
> > then that shifts the question to why different neuroreceptors should
> result
> > in different characters of experience.
>
> Yes, I've always been puzzled by that.

My hunch is that the 'pain' neurons feed into circuits that can be
characterized objectively in a certain way, that is distinguishable from
circuits that receive sensory information with no particular pain/pleasure
valence, so that it doesn't matter in particular what the neurotransmitters
or hormones are that mediate the circuitry itself. Rather, it is the
cybernetic description of the circuits in question that provide the "hook"
on which to hang distinguishable identification of various kinds of qualia.

Pressing forward with the entropy idea, perhaps the pain circuitry has the
result of increasing the (information-theoretic) entropy of the global
mind, and therefore we experience it as pain. Keep in mind I am not
"arguing for" this - just exploring the idea. Maybe you or someone else who
is sympathetic to this style of inquiry can improve on the idea of
entropy... it certainly has its problems.

Terren