From an ancient Simpsons, from Homer to Bart: what is mind? Never matter. What is matter? Never mind. I will hold with Chalmers, on this one. That it is the hard problem. Perhaps like the pure materialists love to say, the mind is merely an epiphenomenon, of the human brain. Ok, but I ask, does the epiphenomenon, have a soul? ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, May 16, 2013 3:32 pm
Subject: Re: The Leibniz-Taoist solution: Matter is mind, mind is matter

This reminds me of Isaac Asimov's 1, 2, 3, infinity

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Roger Clough &lt;rclo...@verizon.net&gt; wrote:
The Leibniz-Taoist solution: Matter is mind, mind is matter

According to the Dao de jing, the solution to the mind-brain problem is that it is not a problem.

Matter is mind, mind is matter is one way of saying it.

Leibniz said the same, that monads are expressions of material bodies.

The physical is the nonphysical, the nonphysical is the physical is another way.
    According to modern physics, matter or spacetime emerges from
    the nonphysical.

This was expressed long, long ago in the Dao de jing,

According to Legge's translations of chapter 42, the Tao Te Ching:

http://www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/daodejing42.php

"The Dao produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three;
Three produced All things.

Reason begets unity; unity begets duality; duality begets trinity; and tr
inity begets the ten thousand things.

Tao produces unity; unity produces duality; duality produces trinity; tri
nity produces all things."

Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 5/16/2013
See my Leibniz site at
http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough