On 17 May 2013, at 00:22, Richard Ruquist wrote:

This list appears to support MWI in which every wave function and its associated particle becomes physical but in a differing parallel world or universe. So from a 3p perspective, everything is predetermined and from what I can tell from a 1p perspective there is only the illusion of consciousness

"illusion of consciousness" is self-contradictory. You cannot be genuinely deluded about being consciously deluded. Someone unconscious cannot be deluded.

Illusion of free-will makes sense when free-will is defined in the usual inconsistent manner, but some definition (the so-called compatibilist) works fine. Free-will is the ability to take personal definition, with the person defined either by Kleene recursion theorem (the Dx = "xx" method), or Kleene's theorem + Theaetus definition of the knower (the true believer).

and free will. I contend that in such a case, there is no need for a morality or a soul.

I have no idea of how indeterminacy could help. On the contrary, you need a reasonable amount of dterminacy to get the free-will, which is a form of self-determinacy in incomplete information set up.

Bruno

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:
From an ancient Simpsons, from Homer to Bart: what is mind? Never matter. What is matter? Never mind. I will hold with Chalmers, on this one. That it is the hard problem. Perhaps like the pure materialists love to say, the mind is merely an epiphenomenon, of the human brain. Ok, but I ask, does the epiphenomenon, have a soul? ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, May 16, 2013 3:32 pm
Subject: Re: The Leibniz-Taoist solution: Matter is mind, mind is matter

This reminds me of Isaac Asimov's 1, 2, 3, infinity

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Roger Clough &lt;rclo...@verizon.net&gt; wrote:
The Leibniz-Taoist solution: Matter is mind, mind is matter

According to the Dao de jing, the solution to the mind-brain problem is that it is not a problem.

Matter is mind, mind is matter is one way of saying it.

Leibniz said the same, that monads are expressions of material bodies.

The physical is the nonphysical, the nonphysical is the physical is another way.
    According to modern physics, matter or spacetime emerges from
    the nonphysical.

This was expressed long, long ago in the Dao de jing,

According to Legge's translations of chapter 42, the Tao Te Ching:

http://www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/daodejing42.php

"The Dao produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three;
Three produced All things.

Reason begets unity; unity begets duality; duality begets trinity; and tr
inity begets the ten thousand things.

Tao produces unity; unity produces duality; duality produces trinity; tri
nity produces all things."

Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 5/16/2013
See my Leibniz site at
http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough