On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 08 Jun 2013, at 17:55, meekerdb wrote:
>
> On 6/8/2013 1:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>

> On 08 Jun 2013, at 05:15, meekerdb wrote:
>
> On 6/7/2013 4:00 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
> Yes, if there was a text of this it would be nice... I found this:
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fictionalism-mathematics/
>

> A fictionalist account holds that some things are fictional, i.e. don't
> exist even though their complete description is self-consistent.
> Everythingists apparently reject this idea.  Platonists seem to equate
> 'true' with 'exists'.  If you believe 17 is prime you must believe 17
> exists.  I think this is wrong.  If you believe that a flying pink elephant
> is pink, must you believe a flying pink elephant exists?
>

> Flying pink elephants are pink and not pink. That's why flying pink elephant
> can't exist.
>

> A pink elephant is pink by construction.
>

> Exact. But the flying pink elephant are also not pink. By logic. Or show me
> a flying pink elephant living on this planet which isn't not pink.

Bruno, how are flying pink elephants any different from things that I
remember but am not experiencing this very moment? For example, I've
been to Brussels but I'm not there right now. Brussels is an
abstraction in my mind, but I believe it's the capital of Belgium.
That's part of the Brussels abstraction, in the same sense that being
pink is part of the flying pink elephant abstraction. No?

Telmo.