On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:49:20 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

> I think functionalism (or more specifically, computationalism) is the
> currently leading theory of mind among cognitive scientists and
> philosophers.  It is neither a materialistic, eliminativist, dualist, nor
> idealist conception of mind.

Why isn't it dualist? You have the simulator (arithmetic truth, localized
arbitrarily by spontaneous/inevitable Turing machine), and the simulated
(an emergent non-arithmetic presence which appears magically within the
simulation, for no reason).

Why isn't it idealist? Can computation be separated from ideal principles?

I think that most who subscribe to comp do so in an eliminativist way.
Consciousness is seen as an epiphenomenon of unconscious computations.

As for Relativity, I don't really know what it can mean other than a
context of sensory awareness in which one phenomenon is felt, seen, or
otherwise experienced as being 'related' in some way. Relativity is already
perception, or it is nothing.

Thanks,
Craig