On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 7/23/2013 2:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 7/23/2013 7:00 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>
>>  When there are two polarizers A and C, which are rotated by 90 degrees
>> to each other then no photons will pass through both polarizers.  However,
>> if we insert polarizer B at a 45 degree offset to A and C then 1/4 of the
>> photons will make it through.
>>
>>  Now let's say we have two entangled photons travelling away from each
>> other.  If we send photon #1 through polarizer A right before photon #2
>> goes through polarizer B,
>>

>>  How about a clarifying diagram.  In the first para B was between A and
>> C, now it seems it's in the opposite direction of A relative to the source.
>>

>  In the first case:
>
>                      0 degrees                45 degrees            90
> degrees
> photon #1 ---->   (Polarizer A)  ------>   (Polarizer B)  ------>
> (Polarizer C)---->  (Detector)
>

>  In the second case, two entagled photons are sent in opposite directions
>          (45 degrees)                             0 degrees
>          90 degrees
>  <-----(Polarizer B) <-------  #2     #1 ----> (Polarizer A)
> ------------------> (Polarizer C)
>
>  Where B is spaced at a distance greater than A, but less than C.
>

> OK, but what are the angles and how are the varied to send a signal?

The angles (in degrees) are the angles relative to polarizer A.  To send
the signal, polarizer B is taken away (or put back).  Unless polarizer B is
there, then 100% of the photons at C get blocked.  When B is there, 25% of
the photons make it through.

Or does photon #1 have to be the one that goes through polarizer B in order
for it to have any chance of going through polarizer C?

Jason

Jason