On Tue, Jul 23, 2013  Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me it seems that must be incorrect, because it would enable super
> luminal communication.  By sending a continuous stream of entangled photons
> in opposite directions

I can't send a message that way because I have no way of controlling if I
send a dot or a dash, if a photon polarized at 0 degrees hits a 45 degree
filter there is a 50 50 chance it will get through and I can't change that.
Quantum entanglement can influence things faster than light but you need
more than that to transmit information, you need a standard to measure that
change against, and Quantum Mechanics can't provide that standard; all it
can do is change one apparently random state to another apparently random
state.

Think of quantum entanglement as 2 magic coins, I have one and you have the
other, no matter how far apart we are if I flip my coin and it comes up
heads then when you flip your coin it will always come up heads, if my coin
is tails then so will your coin when you flip it. As marvelous as this fact
is there is no way I can use the coins to send you a message because I have
no control over my coin, it could come out heads or tails, so you see just
randomness in the coin toss just like I do. It is only when we communicate
through conventional means (at the speed of light or less) do we realize
that my apparently random sequence of coin tosses and your apparently
random sequence of coin tosses are identical.

  John K Clark