Hello Dr. Standish

If I may play devil's advocate for a post it seems to me that the question over
duration required for an optimized system to evolve is only a minor aspect of
the argument presented in this paper.

More seriously it concerns the mechanics of such an evolution.

To use a computer analogy: It doesn't concern for example the developing
fitness of specific algorithms written in a language but the fitness of the
language itself.

Many algorithms can be written in C and we can store these algorithms in files
etc. However, if we change the mechanics of C, if we change the compiler, then
these files become useless. Perhaps C requires a semi-colon to designate the
end of a line of code. If this changes even slightly, perhaps the requirement
becomes a comma rather than semi-colon, then all those code files are
effectively useless and will no longer compile in to workable algorithms.

Compare that with the degree to which we can fiddle with the specifics of the
code files themselves. We can randomly change strings, constants, all manner of
things and there will be a set of changes that result in files that compile
into runnable algorithms. Different ones than before, with semantic 'bugs'
perhaps but there will be a further subset of new algorithms which do the same
as before, more or less, but more efficiently. And in this analogy that is
exactly what evolution requires.

The point here is surely that in the former case even a subtle change to the
compiler is instantly catastrophic and is therefore different to usual
selective techniques which involve the accumulation of little changes over time.

Now, I'm very very possibly barking up the very wrong tree here, because Ive
never been the sharpest tool in the box, and maybe you have addressed that and
I can't see it. I can see how if all the different codes exist at some point
one can emerge as a winning replicator but I can't see how there can be
development of a single code into a winning replicator and I think that's the
main issue at stake. What is the mechanism for that? Or have I just lost the
plot?

All the best