Coincidental post I wrote yesterday:

It may not be possible to imitate a human mind computationally, because
awareness may be driven by aesthetic qualities rather than mathematical
logic alone. The problem, which I call the Presentation Problem, is what
several outstanding issues in science and philosophy have in common, namely
the Explanatory Gap, the Hard Problem, the Symbol Grounding problem, the
Binding problem, and the symmetries of mind-body dualism. Underlying all of
these is the map-territory distinction; the need to recognize the
difference between presentation and representation.

Because human minds are unusual phenomena in that they are presentations
which specialize in representation, they have a blind spot when it comes to
examining themselves. The mind is blind to the non-representational. It
does not see that it feels, and does not know how it sees. Since its
thinking is engineered to strip out most direct sensory presentation in
favor of abstract sense-making representations, it fails to grasp the role
of presence and aesthetics in what it does. It tends toward overconfidence
in the theoretical.The mind takes worldly realism for granted on one hand,
but conflates it with its own experiences as a logic processor on the
other. It’s a case of the fallacy of the instrument, where the mind’s
hammer of symbolism sees symbolic nails everywhere it looks. Through this
intellectual filter, the notion of disembodied algorithms which somehow
generate subjective experiences and objective bodies, (even though
experiences or bodies would serve no plausible function for purely
mathematical entities) becomes an almost unavoidably seductive solution.

So appealing is this quantitative underpinning for the Western mind’s
cosmology, that many people (especially Strong AI enthusiasts) find it easy
to ignore that the character of mathematics and computation reflect
precisely the opposite qualities from those which characterize
consciousness. To act like a machine, robot, or automaton, is not merely an
alternative personal lifestyle, it is the common style of all unpersons and
all that is evacuated of feeling. Mathematics is inherently amoral, unreal,
and intractably self-interested – a windowless universality of
representation.

A computer has no aesthetic preference. It makes no difference to a program
whether its output is displayed on a monitor with millions of colors, or
buzzing out of speaker, or streaming as electronic pulses over a wire. This
is the primary utility of computation. This is why digital is not locked
into physical constraints of location. Since programs don’t deal with
aesthetics, we can only use the program to format values in such a way that
corresponds with the expectations of our sense organs. That format of
course, is alien and arbitrary to the program. It is semantically
ungrounded data, fictional variables.

Something like the Mandelbrot set may look profoundly appealing to us when
it is presented optically as plotted as colorful graphics, but the same
data set has no interesting qualities when played as audio tones. The
program generating the data has no desire to see it realized in one form or
another, no curiosity to see it as pixels or voxels. The program is
absolutely content with a purely quantitative functionality – with
algorithms that correspond to nothing except themselves.

In order for the generic values of a program to be interpreted
experientially, they must first be re-enacted through controllable physical
functions. It must be perfectly clear that this re-enactment is not a
‘translation’ or a ‘porting’ of data to a machine, rather it is more like a
theatrical adaptation from a script. The program works because the physical
mechanisms have been carefully selected and manufactured to match the
specifications of the program. The program itself is utterly impotent as
far as manifesting itself in any physical or experiential way. The program
is a menu, not a meal. Physics provides the restaurant and food,
subjectivity provides the patrons, chef, and hunger. It is the physical
interactions which are interpreted by the user of the machine, and it is
the user alone who cares what it looks like, sounds like, tastes like etc.
An algorithm can comment on what is defined as being liked, but it cannot
like anything itself, nor can it understand what anything is like.

If I’m right, all natural phenomena have a public-facing mechanistic range
and a private-facing animistic range. An algorithm bridges the gap between
public-facing, space-time extended mechanisms, but it has no access to the
private-facing aesthetic experiences which vary from subject to subject. By
definition, an algorithm represents a process generically, but how that
process is interpreted is inherently proprietary.

Thanks,
Craig