On 9/12/2013 2:33 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Time for some philosophy then :)

Here's a paradox that's making me lose sleep:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox

Probably many of you already know about it.

What mostly bothers me is the epistemological crisis that this
introduces. I cannot find a problem with the reasoning, but it's
clearly false. So I know that I don't know why this reasoning is
false. Now, how can I know if there are other types of reasoning that
I don't even know that I don't know that they are correct?

The wiki article gives most resolutions of the antinomy. The logical contradiction is seen most clearly in case of the man who says to his wife, "Here's your anniversary present. You'll be completely surprised by what it is when you open it. It's diamond earrings." So, does the wife reason that she'll be surprised, yet he's said it's diamond earrings; so it can't be diamond earrings because then she wouldn't be surprised. Then she opens the box and it's diamond earrings AND she's surprised.

It just shows that if you reason from contradictory statements you can arrive at any conclusion.