On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, September 13, 2013 5:31:40 AM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Which reasoning is clearly false?
>> >
>> > Here's what I'm thinking:
>> >
>> > 1) The conclusion "I won't be surprised to be hanged Friday if I am not
>> > hanged by Thursday" creates another proposition to be surprised about.
>> > By
>> > leaving the condition of 'surprise' open ended, it could include being
>> > surprised that the judge lied, or any number of other soft contingencies
>> > that could render an 'unexpected' outcome.
>>
>> Ok but that's not the setup. The judge did not lie and there are no
>> soft contingencies. The surprise is purely from not having been sure
>> the day of the execution was the one when somebody knocked at the door
>> at noon. Even if you allow for some soft contingencies, I believe the
>> paradox still holds.
>

> I don't understand why it's a paradox and not just contradiction. If I say
> 'you're going to die this week and it's going to be a surprise when', that
> is already a contradiction.

Ok, after a good amount of thought, I have come to agree with this.
The judge lied. You convinced me! :) (with due credit to Alberto and
Brent, who also helped convince me). A more honest statement would be
"you're going to die this week and it will probably be a surprise
when", or, "you'll probably die this week and it will be a surprise if
you do".

My thought process involves reducing the thing to a game. There are 5
turns in the game, and the attacker has to choose one of those turns
to press a button. The defender also has a button, and its goal is to
predict the action of the attacker. If both press the button. the
defender wins. If only the attacker pressers the button, the attacker
wins. Otherwise the game continues. The system is automated so that
the attacker button is automatically pressed. Now the attacker (judge)
is making the claim that he can always win this game. He cannot, there
is no conceivable algorithm that guarantees this. Playing multiple
instances of the game, I would guess the optimal strategy for the
attacker is to chose a random turn, including the last. This will
offer 20% of the games to the defender, but there's nothing better one
can do.

I read your post and now I think I understand you positions better. I
am not convinced, but I will grant you that they are not easily
attackable. On the other hand, this could be because they are
equivalent to Carl Sagan's "invisible dragon in the garage" or, as
Popper would put it, unfalsifiable. Do you care about falsifiability?
If so, can you conceive of some experiment to test what you're
proposing?

The symbol grounding problem haunted me before I had a name for it.
It's a very intuitive problem indeed. I tend to believe that the
answer will actually look something like an Escher painting. Assuming
that neuroscience is enough, one can imagine the coevolution of neural
firing patterns with environmental conditions. This can lead to neural
firing patterns that correlate with higher abstractions -- the
symbols. Why not?

Cheers,
Telmo.