On 9/17/2013 10:46 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    Alright. Personal or 1p experiences are probably outside the realm of
    phenomena that can be investigated under Popperian science. I think
    this is something that many of us can agree with, independently of
    accepting/rejecting comp, for example. I think this is also what
    characterises hard-core positivists: they either find 1p reality
    irrelevant or even reject its existence.

Which makes sense, since from that kind of fundamentalist 3p perspective, we can only take consciousness for granted. From there, we can either admit or deny that we are taking it for granted, and if we admit it, then we would want to minimize the significance of that.

I'd say that from the 3p perspective we don't take it for granted and neither do we consider it's content 'real'. We are well aware of illusion, misperception, and hallucinations so that we try to construct a 3p model of the world that resolves the differences in 1p perspectives. This not to deny the 1p experiences, but it puts them in the category of descriptions, like written descriptions or photographs. For example if you ask are circles real, the answer is that (perfect) circles don't exist in the world, but they exist as descriptions in brains and computers and math texts.