On 27 September 2013 13:30, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 9/26/2013 8:02 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> On 27 September 2013 12:52, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/26/2013 7:48 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> On 27 September 2013 12:34, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/26/2013 7:15 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> On 27 September 2013 11:03, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> On 9/26/2013 6:05 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
>
> This is a sort of cul de sac experience, which has to be impossible to
> create if QTI is true. The existence of a universal dovetailer entails
> the lack of all cul de sac experiences (Comp immortality).
>

> So does it make loss of consciousness impossible? ....under
> anesthesia?...forever?
>
> It makes permanent loss of consciousness (which is what death is)
> impossible.
>

> How?  If temporary loss of consciousness is possible, what puts a time
> limit
> on it?  What is the limit? an hour?  a day?  a year?  a billion years?
>
> If you're unconscious for a trillion years or a minute it's all the
> same. Death is when you never, ever wake up.
>
> OK.  So why is that impossible?
>
> It's not impossible if you lose consciousness and there are no
> conscious entities with your memories and mental states just before
> you lost consciousness.
>

> ??  But I'm a conscious entity with my memories and mental states just
> before I lost consciousness.  Did you mean "just after"?
>
> Are you saying something depends on a time gap?  But what time?...the
> computed physical time?

If there is an entity that remembers being me at time t1 then the me
at time t1 survives. For example, if I fall asleep on a plane and wake
up on another continent 8 hrs later, I have survived despite the time
and space gap and despite the fact that the matter in metabolically
active parts of my brain has changed. The principle is the same with
larger discontinuities in time, space and matter.

--
Stathis Papaioannou