On 20 Oct 2013, at 23:34, Russell Standish wrote:

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 09:43:09AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

In fact I think (but not use!) that you have a conscious path
between any brain, and the empty brain (no brain!).

How can that be?

By the agnosologic argument. You don't need to take it so seriously, as it is used to illustrate a point. It is an extrapolation on blindsight (er ..., no, the dual of blindsight, ... i was hoping Stathis would remind the term). people who become blind, but are not aware of having lost anything, except indirectly as they realize the ne life difficulties). Pathological states of consciousness, altered states of consciousness provides information on consciousness.

There is no continuous path between a universal
machine and a trivial machine - universality will be lost at a precise
point of removing hardware.

OK, but once you get the virgin universal machines, your consciousness is atemporal, and relies directly on all the arithmetic universal relation There is no sense to try to relate that consciousness to any particular piece of hardware. Keep in mind comp use another mind(first person)/ brain relation thesis than the usual brain-mind identity.

I think you've been overly influenced by the fading qualia argument,
which I've always felt to be fallacious.

I don't use this here. I agree it belongs in the family.
But, the 1p-3p "non identity" thesis in comp bypasses it, I think.

Nevertheless I think that it is an excellent argument. Stathis validly (and repeatedly) refuted Craig by using it. Craig can avoid the argument by pushing the comp subst level in the low, ad infinitum., or using non-comp.

You might explain the problem you have with the fading qualia argument.

Principal, High Performance Coders