On 25 Oct 2013, at 19:33, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/25/2013 3:08 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
Now take the game of go: human beings can still easily beat machines,
even the most powerful computer currently available. Go is much more
combinatorially explosive than chess, so it breaks the search tree
approach. This is strong empirical evidence that Deep Blue
accomplished nothing in the field of AI -- it did did accomplish
something remarkable in the field of computer engineering or maybe
even computer science, but it completely side-stepped the
"intelligence" part. It cheated, in a sense.

When I studied AI many years ago it was already said that, "Intelligence is whatever computers can't do yet."

I think Douglas Hofstadter said that, actually. Right in the topic!

So when computers can win at GO, will they be intelligent then?

Computers are intelligent.
When they will win at GO, and other things, they might begin to believe that they are intelligent, and this means they begin to be stupid. Their soul will fall, and they will get terrestrial hard lives, like us. They will fight for social security, and defend their right.