2013/11/21 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

> On 20 Nov 2013, at 21:57, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
> To say that F = m . a   or e= m c2  as truth it is necessary to accept
> certain beliefs. Belief that at the next moment the laws will not change
> for example.
>

> e=mc^2 is an interesting theory (belief), or an interesting theorem in an
> interesting theory. True. Perhaps, but that's a question for theologian,
> not physicists.
>

> Let´s go to a human level:
>
> in evolutionary terms, I would say that truth is a belief hardcoded by
> natural selection.
>

> This is self-defeating or circular. You need the "truth" of natural
> selection to make sense of it.
>

> It do not try to define truth beyond the psychological truth. However, the
psychological truths are  the self evident truths, that are the true
absolute truths. You want a pure mathematical or logical notion of absolute
truth, which is impossible.   natural selection is like e= mc2 . it explain
things, but has implicit beliefs, but expand the categories of problems and
the deep of them that we can think of, create new hypothesis and test them.
The Konrad Lorenz theory about the Kantian a prioris is one of them.

> Truth would say, is the constants plus the algorthm,
>

> OK. But that's equivalent with saying that we accept elementary arithmetic
> as true, and then proceed from there. With comp, we cannot take more axioms.
>
> It is not the same IMHO. To Accept as truth the constants and the
algorithm of a being actually living (like humans), which implies heavy
constraints imposed by the environment (for example moral rules as a result
of  almost a infinite sucession of games of life and death in society) than
the wider affirmation that elementary aritmetic is true.

"Aritmetic theory is true" is not a self evident truth.   "to kill your
neighbour is bad" is a "constant" or part of an "algoritm" for the
 navigation in the social environment. It has psychological meaning of
"truth"  at the psychological level. and therefore is true in the sense
that humans use the word true.

> The data that the living being processes, are the beliefs.
>

> OK.
>

> The pivotal affirmation from Conrad Lorenz: "The kantian a priori  where
> shaped in our mind as a  result of natural selection"
>

> This presupposed some theory, implicitly as being true.
>

> has a very far reaching: it means that self evident  truths like the
> existence of persons, animals, space, time and all self evident truths that
> derives from them are hardcoded, and we have hardcoded algorithms for
> processing them. That is the reason why they appear behind us and we react
> to them without any doubt about their existence. We also have also algoritm
> for adquiring derived concepts in certain ways and not in others.
>

> OK. But all this depends on your fundamental theory. What is "natural
> selection" when you have no time, no space, no persons, etc. What are your
> starting assumptions?
>
> Natural selection then becomes a non-process in a block universe defined
by a mathematical equation which contains Self aware structures. As Tegmark
defines them.

NS is perceived psychologically as a law  of the spacetime. A law at the
macro level which operate at very large scales, but not very different that
any law with space and time embedded in it, like s= v . t .  But this is
just the way we perceive them.

> Truth in a ample sense is whatever that kick-back: a stone wall for
> example.
>

> OK. I like to see truth as a queen which win all wars without any army
> (but that can take times!).
>

> But that is not all. in evolutionary terms, the kick-back can happen
> across generations. If we doubt about certain abstract truths (like to kill
> is bad),
>

> That's not a truth. It is a normative imperative. (A good one imo).
>
> In terms of psychological self evident truths, it is absolute, since there
is no higher truth in the world of the mind, by definition, but self
evident , psychological truths.  What kiked-back across generations was
incorporated in our algoritms as self evident truths of the reality. By
means of?  by the evolution of the genetic program that develop our brains.
that is what Konrad Lorenz said.

> we will not receive an inmediate negative feedback, but perhaps in a few
> years or even our gene/meme descendants. That is why the Lorenz`s mechanism
> has included in our mind a lot of  innate common sense truths).
>
> That materialist explanation paradoxically end up in the idea  that there
> is no space neither time neither persons outside the world of the mind,
> that is what really exist. Out of the mind there is nothing. Perhaps
> mathematics.
>

> With comp we can't really use more than arithmetic for the ontology, and
> we need full higher order mathematics for anything inside arithmetic seen
> from arithmetic. Arithmetic seen from inside is much bigger than arithmetic
> (cf the Skolem phenomenon).
>

> But as i said before, there is no pure mathematical notion of truth that
can model what humans take for truth. Only the world of the mind has
truths. To do so you have to leap from math and talk about dreams, that is,
indeed, the proposition of wold of the mind, a second reality emerging
right from the world of the numbers. But I do not see this emergence,
neither I see the emergence of minds or souls from whatever complicated
algorithms. That demand a leap of faith and this faith is not mine. I don´t
buy this extension of observed correlations to causalities.

By the way, If for KL the kantian a prioris of the human mind are shaped by
evolution, what is the nature of the things-in-themselves? what are the
things before being perceived and processed by the mind?. According with
Kant, the knowledge of the things-in-themselves is impossible. I propose
that they are nothing but the mathematics of the block universe.  it may be
homomorphic to some computation or part of a computation (i don´t like the
computation idea because it implies time. and computation can be reduced to
a timeless transformation using category theory)

And there may be other realities behind, we don´t know.

>  I´m in aggreement with Craig on this.
>

> I don't see this. Craig assumes some primitive matter, and attribute mind
> to it. You seem more to be in agreement with comp than with Craig, it seems
> to me.
>
> Bruno
>

> I´m more idealist. I believe in an autonomous world of the mind that is
the REAL world that we inhabit by definition. The material phenomena are
events in the mind. All that we see is in the mind that is evident. The
coherence between phenomena in different minds and the laws of nature may
be a result of a process of selection in which the minds select their
substrate. In the same way than the definition of existence of a
mathematical structure is the existence of Self Aware Structures that
contemplate it from within.

I admit a certain dualism mind-math here that need a kind of
Roger-Lebnizian pre-existing harmony and a creator Mind.

> 2013/6/3 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
>

>> On 03 Jun 2013, at 01:41, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>>
>> How do we integrate empirical data into Bp&p?
>>

>> Technically, by restricting p to the "leaves of the UD*" (the true, and
>> thus provable, sigma_1 sentences).
>> Then to get the physics (the probability measure à-la-UDA), you can do
>> the same with Bp & Dp & p. Think about the WM-duplication, where the W or M
>> selection plays the role of a typical empirical data.
>>
>> More on this when you came back to this, probably on FOAR.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> On Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:41:56 PM UTC-4, JohnM wrote:
>>>
>>> Russell wrote:
>>>

>>> *"...When it comes to Bp & p capturing the notion of knowledge, I can
>>> see it captures the notion of mathematical knowledge, ie true theorems,
>>> as opposed to true conjectures, say, which aren't knowledge. But I am
>>> vaguely sceptical it captures the notion of scientific knowledge, which has
>>> more to do with falsifiability, than with proof. And that's about where I
>>> left it - years ago.*
>>> *..."*
>>> Interesting difference between 'scientific' and 'mathematical'
>>> (see the Nobel Prize distinction) - also in falsifiability, that does
>>> not automatically escape the agnostic questioning about the circumstances
>>> of the falsifying and the original images. Same difficulty as in judging
>>> "proof".
>>> "Scientific knowledge" indeed is part of a belief system. In
>>> conventional sciences we THINK we know, in math we assume
>>> (apologies, Bruno).
>>> John M
>>>

>>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au

>> --