On 11/22/2013 3:24 PM, John Mikes wrote:
Bruno:
 Brent's dichotomy - as you pointed out - about exist and true may go deeper in
my opinion:
If we *_THINK _*of something: it DOES *_exist_* indeed */(in our mind)/* but may not be true. I refrain from calling T R U E anything in our restsricted (partial) knowledge capability. "WE THINK IT IS TRUE" is in our belief system. Now it is up to you to call the "EXISTING" thought as 'truly existing'???? We fabricate 'truth' in this respect but only in this respect. Otherwise I am just waiting for additional input disproving what I 'beleived-in' so far.

John M

PS I read this remark of mine to my wife who asked: if somebody KILLS a person (cuts her throat): is it TRUE, or NOT? (pointing to the more convoluted sides of the topic). I tried to save face by saying: Don't you apply our 'wisdom-concepts' to practical life! We seek the theoretical truth! (laugh). (As a matter of fact 'true' is not confoundable with 'truth' just as conscious is not the adjective representing consciousness - in most cases)
JM

In my meta-physics "true" is an attribute of a sentence meaning that the sentence expresses some fact. Facts do not depend on sentences, they can be facts even though no one says so in a sentence. "Exist" has different meaning in different contexts. In physics the essential parts of a model are thought to exist just in case the model is true.