From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 9:11 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Belief vs Truth

On 11/22/2013 3:24 PM, John Mikes wrote:

Bruno:

 Brent's dichotomy - as you pointed out - about exist and true may go deeper
in my opinion:

If we THINK of something: it DOES exist indeed (in our mind) but may not be
true. I refrain from calling  T R U E  anything in our restsricted (partial)
knowledge capability. "WE THINK IT IS TRUE" is in our belief system.

Now it is up to you to call the "EXISTING" thought as 'truly existing'????
We fabricate 'truth' in this respect but only in this respect. Otherwise I
am just waiting for additional input disproving what I 'beleived-in' so far.

John M

PS I read this remark of mine to my wife who asked: if somebody KILLS a
person (cuts her throat):

is it TRUE, or NOT? (pointing to the more convoluted sides of the topic). I
tried to save face by saying:

Don't you apply our 'wisdom-concepts' to practical life! We seek the
theoretical truth! (laugh).

(As a matter of fact 'true' is not confoundable with 'truth' just as
conscious is not the adjective representing  consciousness - in most cases)

JM

In my meta-physics "true" is an attribute of a sentence meaning that the
sentence expresses some fact.  Facts do not depend on sentences, they can be
facts even though no one says so in a sentence.  "Exist" has different
meaning in different contexts.  In physics the essential parts of a model
are thought to exist just in case the model is true.

Truth, perhaps, depends on some frame of reference; one could even describe
it as an emergent phenomena that has meaning only within the frame of
reference from which it emerges.

Chris