2013/12/4 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:00:39 PM UTC-5, spudb...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>  I read Caroll's article and wind up with more questions about his
>> statement. First, what does he consider non-physical? Thoughts in our head,
>> dreams. But those of the biochemical interaction fizzing about our
>> neurology, as electrons. He never defines non physical, so what not just
>> say that everything is matter, and when matter moves, its energy, and when
>> its perforated with a pattern, that our neurochemistry recognizes, its
>> information?
>>

> This is where the card up the sleeve is. What's a "pattern" physically?
> What is our neurochemistry doing "recognizing" something.
>
> Let's look at a complex system, like New York City. What constitutes its
> "information"? Traffic entering and exiting the city limits? Architectural
> spaces and their degrees of freedom over time? The assumptions of both
> physics and mathematics are mutually defeating, and together, they obscure
> any possibility of looking beyond the reflections of public form and
> function to the reality of their private appreciation and participation.

Speaking  with rigurously as far as i can, the information  depends on the
granularity of the states that you consider. If you are contemplating the
Premier Leage along the history looking at the leage winners of each year,
the information is that. If you zoom in to a particular year and see the
classification, you have another level of information. if you proceed day
by day,  tean after team,  player after player yo will have more and more
detailed states.

In  Statistical Mechanics, the information is contemplated at the molecular
level.. There are higuer levels: at the atomic, quark and superstring
level, that is supossedly the ultimate level, where the units of distance
energy etc are called Planck units. But in ordinary matter where the atoms
are individual,  not in the form of plasma the statistical mechanics level
is well defined. that base level is called the microstate.

But information in the usual sense is refered to states of macroscopical
entities, like the speed of my car, or the height of a building, not the
position and speed of the particles of the car or the building. the
building can be hot or cold and the microstates can vary. but I donĀ“t care.
 However the total information at the microstate level is constant. But the
macrostate can loose information. a building can fall as a result of a
eathquaque. in this process of loss of information the entropy grows.

> Or should we define electrons, photons and neutrinos as non physical?
>>

> We should define matter and energy on a sliding scale in which microcosmic
> and cosmological limits are characterized by a fusion of private and public
> physics, whereas macrocosmic subjectivity provides the orthogonality of
> maximum public-private divergence. The meaning of 'physical' would become
> relativistic, as all presences private or public would be physical in an
> absolute sense, but a representation of one experience (like a football)
> within another (a human being's visualization) would allow 'physical' to
> serve to differentiate the represented football as non-physical relative to
> the presented football, but the represented football would still be
> ontologically physical as a visual experience.
>
> Craig
>

>> I don't get what his point is? How reductionist (which is philosophy not
>> physics) does he want us all to get? This is what I suspect he is going
>> for. To be the Dawkins of physics.

Alberto.