On 11 Dec 2013, at 21:10, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/11/2013 12:55 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Dec 2013, at 20:20, George wrote:

Hi List

I haven't contributed to this list for a while but I thought you might be interested in this article from the Science Daily on line magazine

Neural Prosthesis Restores Behavior After Brain Injury

Yes, things progress. Nice to hear of you George, best,
Of course, we cannot test the first person experience of the rat. Even if the rat can talk, that would prove almost nothing, but the human will say "yes" to the doctor anyway, and without thinking to much on the theoretical consequences of the possible survival.

But this brings up a difficulty I see in "comp". We know that if the level of substitution is quantal, then we can't clone the state of the part being replaced (and in the UD model this corresponds to not knowing all the threads of computation through the state).

If comp is true, we have to derive the quantal from that indeterminacy. In all case, we never know which computations are running us. If the brain is a quantum computer, physics should not be exactly quantum physics, as I said to richard today.

This wouldn't deter people from saying "yes" to the doctor.

If the doctor gives a quantum brain, in that case.

But it implies that there will the a qualitative difference in consciousness, a "jump", perhaps like a memory gap and temporary disorientation due to concussion or drugs.

yes, or worse. If my level is below the quantum level, I might just die if I am substituted above that level. May be it will look like I have surivived, but the doppelganger might, in this case, be really an usurper.

But then why doesn't some improbable quantum fluctuation prevent the part replacement and provide a more continuous path of consciousness, in analogy to quantum immortality?

It will. I will survive anyway, but perhaps not in the doppelganger actually done, but in some other part of the UD*.

To stop comp to be *applied*, we should have made glasses illegal long ago ... Then we can argue that molecular biology confirms the use of comp by biological system all the time.

Bruno

George Levy

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com .

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.