On 12 December 2013 11:25, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/11/2013 1:18 PM, LizR wrote:
>
> ISTM that "Yes Doctor" sums up comp. If a digital brain made below my
> substitution level *can* substitute for my organic one, then I literally
> have a 50% chance of waking up as the digital version.
>
>  However if the Subst Level is quantum, no cloning stops it being actually
> possible.
>

> But I don't think "substitution level" is sharply defined.  You brain must
> be mostly classical (otherwise it would be evolutionarily useless) and so
> one might well say "yes" to the doctor, while realizing that the immediate
> state of your brain at the micro-level would not be duplicated.  But this
> would be no worse than losing the state under anesthetic - which I hope the
> doctor was going to use anyway.
>
> It depends what is the important  level for maintaining selfhood. It seems
reasonable to assume that the self remains the same when the brain is
duplicated at the quantum level (if one believes the MWI this is happening
all the time). It's possible that the self is retained during duplication
at higher levels, but it isn't guaranteed. If my brain was duplicated at,
say, the cellular level, I might simply die, and someone who thinks she's
me would be created. (Or then again, that might be happening all the time
anyway.)

These are the sort of consideration that make me think that if you say
"yes" to the Doctor, you've already effectively swallowed all the
implcations of comp.