On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any time John Clark pretends that he does not understand or believe in
> first-person indeterminancy,

But I do believe in and understand first-person indeterminacy, in fact it
was without question the very first thing that I ever understood in my
life; even as a infant I realized that I didn't know what I would see next,
and even if I did I didn't know what I would do next.

>refer him to his own post where he admitts to understanding it and
> believing in it:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/5PR1FXp_CSU/PnuTSn_82PwJ
>
> > John Clark: "So yes, subjectively the intelligence would have no way of
> knowing if A was true or B, or to put it another way subjectively it would
> make no difference."

I stand by every word I wrote, especially "subjectively it would make no
difference"; but if you're going to quote me quote the entire paragraph:

" Both A and B are identical in that the intelligence doesn't know what it
is going to see next; but increasingly convoluted  thought experiments are
not needed to demonstrate that everyday fact. The only difference is that
in A lots of copies are made of the intelligence and in B they are not; but
as the intelligence would have no way of knowing if a copy had been made of
itself or not nor would it have any way of knowing if it was the original
or the copy, subjectively it doesn't matter if A or B is true.
So yes, subjectively the intelligence would have no way of knowing if A was
true or B, or to put it another way subjectively it would make no
difference."

And I concluded that post with:

"the conclusion is the same, and that is the not very profound conclusion
that you never know what you're going to see next, and Bruno's grand
discovery of First Person Indeterminacy is just regular old dull as
dishwater indeterminacy first discovered by Og the caveman. After the big
buildup it's a bit of a letdown actually."

  John K Clark