Dear Brent,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/30/2013 1:56 AM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 30 December 2013 20:53, Stephen Paul King
> <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi LizR,
>>
>>   Round and round we go... This sentence "It emerges because instants
>> are connected to each other in a way that makes there appear to be smooth
>> change between them." does not explain anything. I have read just about
>> every book and paper that attempts to explain time away. All fail on this
>> point. None offer any reason for the illusion of change to be there in the
>> first place. If we point to a sequence (of numbers, events, states,
>> whatever) we still need to explain how that particular sequence is the one
>> that just "happened". No, it could not "Happen".
>>

>  A good way to visualise a block universe is like the frames of a movie
> stacked on top of each other. The books, papers etc you read are not
> attempting to "explain time away" - they are attempting to explain how time
> arises from the relevant equations. (Actually, I suspect that you are
> betraying a personal bias against the idea by using that phrase, so I may
> be wasting my typing fingers here! But anyway...)
>
>  You are asking what connects the frames together. The answer is the laws
> of physics. In the Newtonian and Relativistic views this is what the laws
> of physics are - equations which describe how things change over time. They
> describe a block universe.
>
>  Asking why one sequence of events "just happened" is assuming there has
> to be an external time in which one sequence is selected, or evolves, or
> otherwise occurs. In "classical" relativity this question is answered by
> saying that the block universe is the only possible outcome of the laws of
> physics, assumed to be deterministic. So we have a Laplace's demon type
> answer. Quantum theory, in the form of the MWI gives a broader answer by
> allowing all events allowed by the probabalistic laws of physics to occur.
> A block multiverse has no need to evolve or select a sequence of events,
> because all sequences compatible with the laws of physics occur.
>

> But QM requires initial conditions too.  Do you propose a multiverse in
> which all possible (logically non-contradictory) initial conditions
> obtain?

Yes, QM -as standardly used- has a state transition model to do
calculations with it. There are other ways of doing computations. My
favorite is Hewitt's Actor Model:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erJ1DV_Tlo

Observers come with self-consistent universes -which are their
observations. Interactions between these must be, at some level, logically
non-contradictory (incontrovertible).

> Brent
>

>  That answers the question of how this particular sequence "just happens"
> for both GR *and *QM!
>
>  :-)
>   --
>

>  --