On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> I sorta like the MWI but apparently you are not a fan because if what
>>> you say is true then the MWI is dead wrong.
>>>

>> > Explain why the following table shows that MWI is local, and realistic
>> on the wave function and universal wave function:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics#Comparison_of_interpretations
>>

> I have no idea where Wikipedia got that table but it is self
> contradictory. It says the observer plays no part in many worlds

I would add a (*) on "observer role". In MWI the observer plays no special
function in the evolution of the wave function. This is not the case for
many interpretations where the observer plays some special privileged role,
such as having the ability to collapse wave functions.

> but it also says "no" to counterfactual definiteness meaning you can't
> speak meaningfully of the definiteness of the results of measurements that
> have not been observed.

That is true for MWI because measurements don't have (single) definite
results.

> Both those things can't be right.

Can you explain why not?

> And in many world there is no unique future but it says there is no unique
> past, and that's not what the theory says.

There is no unique past as shown in the quantum erasure experiment.

>  >>that's not what physicists mean when they use the word "realistic",
>>> they mean that a wave or a particle possesses one specific attribute even
>>> if it has not been measured.
>>>

>> > That is hidden variable.
>>

> That is realism. Hidden variables are about how something is going to
> change, realism is about how something is right now.

The wave function says everything there is to be said about how something
is right now. The MWI says this wave function is real.

> > There cannot be a single hidden value but there can be multiple real
>> values.
>>

> I don't know what you mean by that. The best way to think of hidden
> variables is as a lookup table that photons and electrons can see but for
> some reason we can not. The table can contain as many real values as you
> like, it can even contain an infinite number of values; but no lookup
> table, no set of hidden variables, can explain the results we see from
> experiment.

It can. If a particle has multiple values (spin up and spin down) and those
values correspond to another far away particle, which also has two values
(spin down and spin up), and if when someone measures that particle, they
too become correlated with the dual states of the particle, this explains
the Bell inequalities.  It is only when one presumes a measurement can have
only a single definite value that you need FTL influences to explain the
Bell inequalities. The assumption that measurements could only have one
outcome was "so obvious" Bell (and many others) didn't even realize they
had made this assumption.

>  >>For example, if a photon already has one specific  polarization even
>>> before its quantum entangled twin has been measured then it is realistic.
>>>

>> > It has many specific polarizations before it is measured.
>>

> Then it is observer dependent, and the crown jewel of the MWI is that it's
> observer independent and solves the measurement problem.

It does, and MWI perfectly explains how measurement works. The multiple
values are not created or set by the measurement.  Consider a photon that
has passed through a half-silvered mirror, such that it has two velocities
and two positions. This photon's position and momentum have two values.
 Now imagine in only one of the directions the photon is traversing, it is
heading straight toward an electron.  Now when this photon (with its two
directions) interacts with the electron, it both hits and misses the
electron. The electron that is hit is correlated with the photon that
traveled the path toward it, and it is missed which is correlated with the
photon that took the alternate path.  Thus, the "multi-positioned" photon,
upon interacting and not interacting with this electron, has put the
electron into two states (of being deflected and not being deflected), and
the correlations are explained.  Now imagine the deflected photon hits a TV
screen causing it to flash.  The electron which is deflected and not
deflected, may interact and not interact with the screen, and photons
emitted from the screen and not emitted from the screen may cause an
observer to see and not see the flash.  Now all the positions of all the
particles in the person's  brain are in different positions, because they
remember seeing a flash in one "branch", and remember seeing no flash in
the other. These correlations and multiplications of states spread from
particle to particle, whether or not the particle is a free electron or a
light-sensing rod in a conscious observer's retina.

> The MWI may have other difficulties but at least it solves the measurement
> problem, without that WMI has no advantage and you might as well stick with
> the Copenhagen muddle.
>
> > See the answer to Question 12:
>> http://www.anthropic-principle.com/preprints/manyworlds.html
>>

> It says "the splitting is a local process, transmitted causally at light
> or sub-light speeds", so the question is, transmitted THROUGH WHAT at light
> or sub-light speeds? I don't know but it certainly isn't through local
> space.

Transmitted through the background space these "multi-valued" particles
exist in.

>>> spacetime lightcone then it is not local, and no event in another universe
>>> is within our lightcone.
>>>

>> > By this definition, the existence of light cones or things outside
>> would make special relativity non-local,
>>

> No it does not because non-local events, that is to say things  outside
> our past or future lightcone may exist but they have no effect on what we
> see here and now nor can anything that happens here effect anything there.
>
>  > A theory is only non-local if something outside your past light cone
>> could affect you, or if you could affect things outside your future light
>> cone.
>>

> Exactly.

So when, in the context of MWI, does this ever happen?

Jason