On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are at least two possible answers to the bell inequalities:
> 1. Nonlocal influences

 There are not "at least two" there are exactly two, but yes, things might
not be local.

>2. Mutliple outcomes for each measurement

Yes, things might not be realistic. We know that at best one of those 2
commonplace assumptions is wrong, at worse both are.

> If you choose 2, then you don't need 1.

Yes, but locality OR realism OR both must be wrong.

 >> But MWI could be true because although it is realistic it is not local.
>>

> > It is local,

I sorta like the MWI but apparently you are not a fan because if what you
say is true then the MWI is dead wrong. We already know MWI is realistic
and ANY theory that is both realistic AND local can NOT be consistent with
experiment. And if experiment says that's not the way things are then
that's just not the way things are.

> You can have multiple outcomes for a measurement and realism.

No you can not because that's not what physicists mean when they use the
word "realistic", they mean that a wave or a particle possesses one
specific attribute even if it has not been measured. For example, if a
photon already has one specific  polarization even before its quantum
entangled twin has been measured then it is realistic.

> Locality has a specific definition in physics,

Yes.

> that things are only affected by other things (fields or particles) in
> direct proximity to each other.

Once a universe has split off it can have no effect on us whatsoever nor us
to it. And someplace that the laws of physics forbid us from going to or
seeing is not in our "direct proximity".

> It says nothing about the existence of places we can or can't go to.

It most certainly does! If a event is not even in our past or future
spacetime lightcone then it is not local, and no event in another universe
is within our lightcone.

  John K Clark

It says nothing about the existence of places we can or can't go to.

Jason

  John K Clark