On 10 Jan 2014, at 03:38, LizR wrote:

On 10 January 2014 15:34, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:
Liz,

No, that's not the only way to falsify it. One merely needs to show it doesn't properly describe reality as I've just done. If you even assume a computational universe in the first place you have to assume (you are assuming) that it computes reality. The fact that reality exists is conclusive proof.

That doesn't work for comp, however, which doesn't assume a computational universe. The assumptions it makes are a lot simpler than that. I believe they are

The Church-Turing thesis
Elementary arithmetic
That consciousness is a form of computation

I prefer to say, for the last assumption, that consciousness is invariant for some substitution done at some level. Strictly speaking (sorry for nit-picking) consciousness, which is a 1p, cannot be a computation, which is 3p. But comp associates them indeed.