On 1/11/2014 8:12 PM, Colin Geoffrey Hales wrote:

RE: arXiv: 1401.1219v1 [quant-ph] 6 Jan 2014

Consciousness as a State of Matter

Max Tegmark, January 8, 2014

Hi Folk,

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I confess that after 12 years of deep immersion in science's grapplings with consciousness, the blindspot I see operating is so obvious and so pervasive and so incredibly unseen it beggars belief. I know it's a long way from physics to neuroscience (discipline-wise). But surely in 2014 we can see it for what it is. Can't they (Tegmark and ilk) see that the so-called "science of consciousness" is

暗he "the science of the scientific observer"

暗rying to explain observing with observations

暗rying to explain experience with experiences

暗rying to explain how scientists do science.

戢 science of scientific behaviour.

嵯escriptive and never explanatory.

The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models. By a model is meant a mathematical construct which, with the addition of certain verbal interpretations, describes observed phenomena. The justification of such a mathematical construct is solely and precisely that it is expected to work.
    -----John von Neumann