Wow, Liz, very sorry to hear about your friend. If you don't mind me asking
(and if you do mind, simply ignore my question), if you magically just knew
that the universe was in fact a large computation engine where all
possibilities are eventually played out, and also entailing some form of
QTI, would this provide any comfort to you at all?

As far as I understand Bruno's UD, (and I'm really still not sure I
understand it, despite lurking here for years and reading old posts) a
consequence of being embedding in the universal computational structure as
a machine is the fact that we cannot ever prove the correctness of our
beliefs because our consistency is only relative to the part of the
universal function we inhabit, and there could be other domains of
computation where our beliefs would turn out to be false. Of course, what I
just said could also be a load of gobbledygook because, as I admitted, I
don't fully understand the entire argument, nor do I really grasp what the
conclusion of the argument is supposed to be, nor do I really even
understand what kind of ethical import any TOE could have on our behaviors
here in the local domain.