On 16 January 2014 08:28, freqflyer07281972 <thismindisbud...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Wow, Liz, very sorry to hear about your friend. If you don't mind me
> asking (and if you do mind, simply ignore my question), if you magically
> just knew that the universe was in fact a large computation engine where
> all possibilities are eventually played out, and also entailing some form
> of QTI, would this provide any comfort to you at all?

Thank you, but it was very a long time ago (it did indirectly precipitate
me realising that I had end my first marriage, and started me writing after
a gap of many years .... strange thing, life....)

To answer your question it would provide some comfort, after a fashion. I
agree that QTI is a terrifying prospect in many ways, but my guess is that
eventually it would mean that everyone ended up in an advanced civilisation
capable of uploading them (as per Frank Tipler's Omega point idea) -
although maybe only after thousands (or millions) of years of being "the
living dead"...

> As far as I understand Bruno's UD, (and I'm really still not sure I
> understand it, despite lurking here for years and reading old posts) a
> consequence of being embedding in the universal computational structure as
> a machine is the fact that we cannot ever prove the correctness of our
> beliefs because our consistency is only relative to the part of the
> universal function we inhabit, and there could be other domains of
> computation where our beliefs would turn out to be false. Of course, what I
> just said could also be a load of gobbledygook because, as I admitted, I
> don't fully understand the entire argument, nor do I really grasp what the
> conclusion of the argument is supposed to be, nor do I really even
> understand what kind of ethical import any TOE could have on our behaviors
> here in the local domain.
>
> I agree with all the above! All I can add is that it's still interesting
to think about these matters. (Maybe I'm just trying to keep senility at
bay...)