> Unless I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together, of
> course.

Well, that's just it, isn't it? :-) Or indeed, if all of this "self" stuff
is really a very sophisticated mental model we run...

I've tried making that claim here before, but the response if I recall was
a repetition of the Cartesian dictum, and I didn't pursue it.

If the self does not and/or never has existed in the first place, then
there is no point in mourning its loss, because it quite literally doesn't
"go anywhere." Still, without having that deep conviction, not sure how it
offers succor.