Dear Bruno,

  Let me first say that I share your opinion of physicalism! As to the
empirical evidence of inorganic minds. What behavior should we look for? I
ask this with all seriousness, as I have been researching methods to detect
AGI (another way to denote inorganic minds) and have found that there are,
IMHO, very good arguments (particularly by
Goetzel<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5naBq7lYc>)
that have been made that show that we should not expect AGI to interact via
"natural languages" and will not have models of the world that can be
mapped via simple bijections to our models of the world. Basically, their
"physics" are expected to be very different.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2014, at 04:02, Colin Geoffrey Hales wrote:
>
> http://www.edge.org/response-detail/25377
>
> *Neil Gershenfeld* <http://www.edge.org/memberbio/neil_gershenfeld>
> *Physicist, Director, MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms; Author, FAB*
>
> Totally agree: He blames Turing and von Neumann
>
> So do I.
>

> He assumes both comp and weak materialism. In fact some digital physics.
> This has been shown many time here to not work at all. I can repeat the
> argument, but it is very easy from the UDA.
> Physicalism is ready for retirement, if comp is true.
>

> We stopped doing real empirical work on the inorganic brain 60 years ago.
> We failed for 60 years to make an inorganic brain.
>
> Computer “Science” was never and never will be an empirical science at
> all. It is 100% the experimental exploration of theoretical models .... and
> has been generationally systemically confused with empirical science.
>

> I think on the contrary that computer science gives a precise criteria how
> to use the empirical experimentation to refute precise theory of the mind.
>
> You assume that an inorganic brain might one day function, but that would
> mean that comp, or string AI, is possible, and then I don't see how you
> could avoid the consequences.
>

> Party’s over.
>

> You talk here a bit like Edgar or other "knower of the Truth".
>
> We are just searching, using theories (= hypothesis), as only them put
> light on how to interpret the experimental data.
>
> Bruno
>

> Cheers
> Colin

> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/