Hi Colin,

  I like that article, especially the part:
"Turing and von Neumann understood the limits of their models; late in life
they both studied computing in spatial structures, pattern formation for
Turing and self-replication for von Neumann. But their legacy lives on in
the instruction pointer in most any processor, the modern descendant of
Turing's head reading a tape. All of the other instructions not pointed to
consume information processing resources, but don't process information."

  I am actually working on research for a "spatial structure" based
computational system. :-) I do agree more or less with your criticism of
most of computer science, it has very little to do with Bacon's vision of
science. The confusion between empirical science and exploration of
theoretical models has infected large portions of academia, it happens that
way for some reason.
  Do you have any speculations as to why? Maybe empirical science is very
expensive in comparison with model exploration.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Colin Geoffrey Hales <
cgha...@unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

>  http://www.edge.org/response-detail/25377
>

> *Neil Gershenfeld* <http://www.edge.org/memberbio/neil_gershenfeld>
>
> *Physicist, Director, MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms; Author, FAB*
>

> Totally agree: He blames Turing and von Neumann
>

> So do I.
>

> We stopped doing real empirical work on the inorganic brain 60 years ago.
> We failed for 60 years to make an inorganic brain.
>

> Computer “Science” was never and never will be an empirical science at
> all. It is 100% the experimental exploration of theoretical models .... and
> has been generationally systemically confused with empirical science.
>

> Party’s over.
>

> Cheers
>
> Colin

Kindest Regards,